Friday, March 4, 2011

It's time for...

...Mom (as in me) to let my kids be the big kids they are. This is a transitional stage and I have to learn to let go of so many habits that I have accumulated over the last 11 years of being a mommy of little kids. First, I really need to stop saying, "k guys let's go potty!" I need to substitute potty for bathroom. Second, I decided my kids are way too old for me to serve them their food, so we are doing a buffet style in the kitchen and it's working out great. Third, yes my kids help with chores, but certainly they can do them without any of my "help" (which is me looking over their shoulder saying, make sure you do this, that and the other). Fourth, I need to say way way way way more, "Good job," even if the bed looks sloppy, even if the clothes are inside out on the hanger, even if there are toys still left over on the floor, perfection is not the goal, effort and feeling good for working is. So, I've got some work to do. My kid's are big, it's a pill that's hard to swallow, but here I go. Gulp, yuck!

2 comments:

  1. What good advice, Holley! I am trying to step back too, and make my kids do it themselves. It's really hard, but great for them to be a little more self sufficient.

    Thanks for the offer of the clothes, but I am sure that your skinny clothes will not fit me! I really think I'm mostly set on clothes, but thank you so much for the offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wise, wonderful mom!!!

    ReplyDelete